Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Triple-Threat Tuesday

Yup. Here we are again - another Tuesday, another 3 workouts. It can be hard to find the drive - to find the time, the inspiration, the motivation.

Recently I've been finding each of these things from sources around me. My Teany cycling teammates, my dog, my boyfriend, friends, athletes, coach, the cookie I had after breakfast... the list goes on. The point is that no matter where the inspiration comes from, it's there.

Talking with some athletes recently, one commented on the weather. She just could not get herself up and going w/ a gray sky. One thing that I love about Coach Eric is that there are no free passes. Every workout has a purpose and a place. Sometimes the workouts themselves serve as motivators for the workout later in the day. Last week, Eric had me do some 20 minute intervals at a faster than 1/2 Ironman race pace on my bike. They were hard, but were that perfect distance to utilize my fitness and speed. I finished the workout feeling confident and excited for the swim later in the day. Mind you, it helped that I knew a certain cute boy would be waiting in the pool for me, but that is another source of motivation all together.

Having a partner (whether it is a good friend, the dog, spouse) can make a world of difference in the lonely world of long-distance triathlon. So many of us make friends with our ipods, we forget about real connections. Some of my best workouts are the ones I've shared with Sam or close friends. It doesn't have to be an earth-shattering workout either - just one that leaves you feeling refreshed, inspired and ready to tackle the road when you do have to, "go it alone".

Mental toughness is as much a part of the sport as fitness, but like anything, you need to fuel it, to keep it going. In this sense, you can never do this "individual" sport alone - there is always a dependence on others. We count on others to get the motivation to start and commit, the motivation to do the work and the motivation to have it all pay off on race day. There is nothing better to think of when going through a tough spot out on an Ironman course than the people that helped get you there - the people that are baby or dog sitting. The people that are waiting in the rain for you to finish a 10+ hour race, the people that put up with your dietary and sleep time restrictions. Yup. You better believe that you finishing is about more than just you. Go!

2 comments:

Erin said...

go! i want to dogbaby sit for you again...perhaps sometime in the future! <3 you are always so good about acknowledging everyone here, props to you! and good luck with those workouts!

BreeWee said...

Nice post Mandy... totally true. Oh, love the fotos of your bike race too, that smile and the braids make you look like a 5yr old on her bike just loving it!