Tuesday, March 10, 2009

And so it begins...

Well, it's been a few days since I've posted something substantial. Life has been busy-busy-busy, which is a good thing. The races are coming together nicely, sponsorship and just life in general is good. The Sam-boy and I have been making up for the lost time together when I was in Spain - great meals and great company. It's amazing how fast time goes by... Talks of Easter plans, my sister's wedding, my races...all of these are coming up quick!!

This past weekend was the official start to the Bethel Spring Series races. Last year, Aki - director extraordinaire - added a women's field. It attracts National Champs and beginners alike. A few of theses beginners were good friends - Miss Megan from Bethel Cycle came out to try her hand at Bike racing!

It was a tough way to start - even for those of us who thought we were fit. A number of Cat 1 and 2 cyclists riding for pro-teams (or who are in talks with them) - were out and it was just a hammer-fest. Attack after attack was brought back, but it made for a fast and furious day. The field was split and somehow I hung on to the front pack. The final lap came, I attempted a break and well, the engine ran out of steam before the final sprint.

I'm not upset in the slightest. I do these races, not for results, but for training - hence them being a "training series". Coach Eric and I agreed, I should use these to get some speed work in. Haven't done any speedwork since last fall, so it was a test for the legs. A test for the heart to jack my heart rate up nice and high and then try and recover! I got in a few "field tests" and really pushed the pace, averaged 24 mph for the 20 mile crit race. Very cool. I can't seem to mimic these kinds of workouts on my own, so it's a blessing when these talented ladies show up and hand me my a$$ on a platter.

Looking forward to the weeks ahead. You def. start to learn who is strong, who is reliable, who has a good wheel - who attacks when, and so another exciting season starts!! YAY!

No comments: