Monday, March 23, 2009

Weekend Update - only not as funny as SNL

Wowzers McGowzers! I can't believe it's been days since my last post. That is probably a good sign (to my coach, especially) that training and life are moving at the speed of a steam train (well, maybe that's a bad comparison - how fast do trains travel? If train A leaves the station at 11 and train b... oh, forget it!).

It's been a fun few days - my brand new Cannondale Super Six arrived last week to much fanfare - someone, who shall remain nameless, tried to scare me into believing the bike wasn't coming!! ACK! Do not mess with type- A athlete!!

Tuesday night, the boy arrived at the house with a big box - inside was a beautiful 48 cm beauty - white with red accents and silvery logo. Just gorgeous and so light, I thought the box was empty! Add to that some sweet SRAM Red components and you get a wicked-light speed machine!! I'll be posting picks and video of the bike build and the C-dale website will as well.

That was a fast-forward to Friday night. Wine, beer and bike building, oh my! At 9:30, the bike was still not complete - hunger pangs were setting in and the question of food was raised. "I cannot cook" I declared. Stanley and Dorothy were still in the office and so we all opted for Sushi. It was just what we needed to power thru the last bits of the bike-build.

Saturday morning arrived too soon (maybe b/c it was morning when we went to bed) and with it a ride and run. Sammy and I got out on bikes and did my Roubaix-style route. Dirt roads galore! Such a blast and I noticed the difference of riding carbon immediately - none of that fatigue in my forearms or upper back. No kidney pain! SO lovely! I could not stop smiling and I think my riding partner could notice. Transition run and a quick shower later and we were off to the "Eagles leave the nest" party for our Switzerland-bound friends, Erin and Erik Eagleman. It was a party to remember...on many fronts... great food, conversation and a bit too much libation..

Again, the morning came too soon and with it, a day of bike racing! Somehow Jeremy Mikesell managed to rise early for the Cat 5 men's race and took 10th! Mercifully, the women's race is at 10:30 and a crash, courtesy of the men's Cat 4 field meant an extra warm-up for those of us a bit late - ahem- to the race site. The women's race was brutal again - Filled with National Champs, Pros and Cat 1, 2 women (mind you, this is an open Cat Pro,1,2,3,4 women's field). I felt good and chased down breaks, matched accelerations and kept my heart rate up as instructed by coach Eric. On the final lap, I was not in good position, but managed to work my way up the side of the field. Had good position coming into the sprint - a few girls went too early and I was able to edge into 5th. YAY!

A bit of a break and then I hopped into the Men's Cat 3/4 race where I was instructed to "sit in". 27 miles of pain. That's what it was. 27 miles at a 27 mph average. Holy bjeebus, I didn't think these guys were supposed to be that fast! The race was strung out most of the time, one of the Comedy Central girl's boyfriend was off the front for the whole race (apparently he's a Cat 1 track cyclist). The men weren't very organized and no one was really chasing down the break. Then, more attacks came. I tried to stick by Sam, Joey and Murray, but with all the movement in the field, I was just happy when I found Rick's wheel. He is about 7 feet tall and no wind gets around him! For fun, I saw an acceleration happening, I jumped on the hill and closed the gap. I then told the boys how lazy they were for letting a 5'1" 100lb girl lead them back to the break... well, maybe that just happened in my head. At that point in the race, I was ready to die... it was hot, I was panting and sure my heart rate monitor was wrong...nevermind, I have a new max heart rate.

Finishing the race, I got stuck behind a crash, but it was still a fun day. I have new respect for my Sam boy, doing the men's 3/4 and pro 1,2,3 race and placing! Amazing.

Pictures to come... in the meantime...keep riding....it's fun!

Congrats to my Team Teany teammates - Steph and Colleen for a strong finish in the women's race and to miss Megan Searfoss - it's her 2nd bike race ever and she finished in the top 15. Just rad!

No comments: