Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recover, Recover, Recover

That's what I'm working on, despite getting a few more long workouts. Today was a beautiful 5 hour ride to a 30 min. brick. I had a bit of everything weather-wise, but the super relaxed pace (HR less than 135 on the flats and less than 155 on climbs) made for an enjoyable day. I ate and drank and just took in the scenery.

As the rain came pouring down, I thought about Lake Placid last year. Well, the past 3 years is more like it. I love the race, but have yet to reach my potential at it. Last year ended in a horrific crash at mile 86 of the bike after a near perfect swim and bike up to that point. I was sitting in the top 20 of the women's overall when it happened. Waking up in an ambulance after more than 40 min. unconscious definitely took it's toll. I was frustrated and beyond upset, but at that point, it was Eric who brought me right-round, reminding me of Kona and Florida later that year.

I have not been up to Placid since that crash and I am determined to get past it. To let it go and let this year be this year...a clean slate for Placid and me!

The body is feeling good. The cleanse got me down to a reasonable race weight and if my attitude today is any indication, I'll have a great race no matter what the day, weather or course brings. Yeehaw!!

No comments: