Monday, August 3, 2009

The Return of Optimism

"A change is gonna come" Ben Solee

I was in the car yesterday, a full week removed from IM Lake Placid. NPR switched to the gawd-awful "marketplace" program and I just had to get away from it! I switched the player to CD mode and what came on but the beautiful music of Ben Solee. I was introduced to this artist by Michael and Marcia Seiler down in Kentucky.

The music itself is unique, he can go from a bluesy tune to true Kentucky Bluegrass! On certain tracks, he also plays his cello like a guitar, it is really heavenly music.

It was the perfect recipe for putting me in a good mood yesterday. Especially when my favorite track came on. He sings, "When the storm comes, will you reject the rain? If it falls not soft, if it falls not tame. Are you strong enough to bend? Don't stand against the wind, 'cause you know, you gonna break."

It made me think of all that's happened this year. The good and the bad, but isn't it harder to remember the good sometimes? With "New Years in August" in full swing, I'm taking the song to heart. I'm doing crazy yoga-bending-pretzel on my life and the results have been fantastic. Of course, 2 new major sponsorship deals will do that for ya!

My mind is coming around too - today I spent an hour looking at upcoming races before Ironman Florida on November 7th. I found TONS and am more excited than ever to get going again.

This morning I saw my heart for the first time - literally saw my heart - on the screen during an echo-cardiogram. It is truly a marvel. To see and to hear your heart (apart from the beating in your head and chest) gives a whole new understanding. Now I'm sure that when I do my check-ins mid-race or mid-training ride, I can actually visualize what's happening when my heart beats - to see the main arteries and ventricles open and close.

Despite my grilling, the Sonographer would not give me any indication on the readings or what she saw. She did however tell me I have a big heart and somehow that makes carrying a heavy one around now and then, a bit better.

1 comment:

Holden said...

Ben Sollee is always good! You should check out M Ward. He's one of Marcia's favorites.