Thursday, August 13, 2009

We're captive on a Carousel of Time.

Wow, so it's been a few days since I last posted. In that time, I've traveled to Michigan, then Minnesota and back again for the lovely Hagen-Carlson wedding! Minneapolis was surprisingly wonderful - liberal, artsy and full of great food, culture, music and fixed gear bicycles, not to mention 10,000 lakes!

Sam and I left at a FURLY hour (thank you, Seiler's for that creation of F*cking Early) for the airport on Thursday, arriving at Isaac and Karen's house about 10 AM. They were in full-on wedding mode, so Sam and I decided to be good guests and GET OUT of the house! I was happy to walk around and explore the city as it is super walker/biker friendly.

We found a great vegan/vegetarian restaurant and shop called Tao right on the main strip. It was super and as soon as we walked in, I loved it. Bluegrass music was playing and as I looked up into the rafters, I realized it was a 3-piece live band playing! The guys behind the counter looked like they had recently enjoyed something other than their delectable food and the baby strapped on our servers back was happy as could be.

After lunch, we walked around the city, checked out the many fun eco-friendly boutiques and just enjoyed strolling hand in hand. It was the perfect escape. That night, we hit up the local grocer and made dinner, sat at the dining room table and began laughing at the site of the two of us, sitting in this home in the suburbs... we're just not that grown up yet!

The following day was filled with crazy storms, so we did what all good Americans would (and should hah) do, we went to the Mall of America. This place is about the size of Connecticut with a full amusement park inside. We walked around for a few hours just taking it in - truly crazy how packed it was!

That night, the boys descended on the house - 7 of Sam and Isaac's childhood friends drove or flew in from New York, Virginia and New Hampshire. The party had begun!

Saturday, wedding day was great, we took some major detours on our way to the ceremony and made it for the tail end. Uggg, boys. The bride, location and whole atmosphere was beautiful and really reflected the couple. Then we danced and danced and danced and danced some more until it was about 2:45 AM and time to go home (to the hotel, thankfully).

Sunday and Monday we were back to the city of Minneapolis and bopped around some more. I was pleased that each day I got in some nice runs through the parks by the house. Just glorious and the body felt good.

As soon as I got back, I got a call from my doctor - it turns out the cardio tests were not all clear. I promise to fill you all in on the details, but the echo cardiogram has shown that the valves to my heart are leaking. This is not a hereditary condition and is something that I was most likely born with. It does explain some sensations and occurences that I wrote off previously. Before you all start worrying, I have a great set of doctors and will keep you all up to date on what's happening. In the meantime, I'm allowed to keep working out, but at a very low heart rate.

No comments: