Monday, September 28, 2009

Atonement

*Note to my readers, I've been fasting and still training, so anything said hereafter is subject to the rantings of a calorically-depleted athlete whose moods are related to blood sugar :) *

It has been a day of remembrance, one of reflection. Each year, in the Jewish faith, we celebrate our New Year followed by Yom Kippur - our day of atonement. The New Year always falls on the darkest night, when the moon is least visible. Traditionally, about 1/2 way between the New Year and the Day of Atonement, we write down our sins or disappointments from the past year and we cast them away in a flowing river. It is a ritual, but one that provides comfort in a variety of ways. I've been holding onto so much this past year and I think, on occasion, I've let it overshadow all of the good and positive things in my life. I am an emotional creature and I hold onto every achievement and everything that I perceive as a disappointment or regret.

Letting go of the things we cannot change is big. Coming to terms with yourself is the largest part of the day of Atonement. Yes, we ask forgiveness from God for the actions, words, events of the last year, but more importantly, we ask for forgiveness of ourselves. To let go of regret, anger and fear.

It is easy to spiral into remembrance of that which we regret and on a day like today, when we fast, it is the point. But now, as I've finished my long run for the week, sitting with my loving boyfriend to "break"fast, I feel nothing but hope.

Without the hindrance of that excessive mental weight (not to mention it's apparently good for me to destress for my heart!), I plan to make 2009 great again and keep this positive flow of energy, enthusiasm and love thru 2010.

Lots of news to share this week...a new bike has joined the family, an athlete has just committed to her first Ironman and other plans are in the works.

Happy New Year to all, and here is to finding peace with yourself at the end of this day of atonement.

No comments: