Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Eating the 'Humble Pie'

So this weekend I got an invite for a ride w/ the Cannondale/Stage 1 Crew. They are a FAST bunch and a fun group. I was planning on a long-ish ride for Saturday and a brick run to follow. The ride was touted as a nice 2-hour loop. Ok, so a bottle of water and a banana should do it for that part and I'll restock for my own rider later!

2 hours became just about 4 of me falling off the back for the entirety of it. Mercifully, different ride participants (Joanne, Murray, Dan, Joey, My Sam Boy and Craig) came back to pull my sorry a$$ back up to the group.

Totally depleted nutritionally (and the ego was in pretty bad shape too), I got my butt back to the boy's house and passed out until well into dinner time.

Sunday was touted as a T1 brick day - a 1 hour HARD swim, folllowed by a 2 hour steady ride. I wanted to add a short brick run to it to make up for the day before. Well, I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck... this Lyme is seriously kicking my butt. After a hike and splash with the dog, I made my way to the couch for a few hours of napping. While most of the day was shot, I was not wasting it! Headed out for a nice run and got the legs moving. It didn't hurt that at the end of my run, the Whalen family - out for a Sunday ride on their bikes - called out "nice butt!". Before I had time to turn around and glare, I realized that sly, smiling face was my Johnny Whalen's!!

A family dinner topped off the schedule and led into a lovely Monday of long runs and family swims in the Lake. End THAT night with a BBQ at the Tarrywile and I still don't know where the time went.

All I do know is that the 1/2 Iron is fast approaching (on Sept 20th if you want to race or volunteer!) and that not long after that, I'll be off to Florida for IM!

In the meantime, I'm trying to find some other races to pop into - any suggestions? Running, cycling, tris... looking into tris in October...

Onward, y'all!

No comments: