Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Holiday Behavior

You could say I started the holidays a bit early. Most people over-indulge, eating much more than they should and making poor food choices in general. I'd like to think I just "over-indulged", that there was some lack of knowledge associated with my poor eating habits, but I can't... I CHOSE to eat cookies, ice cream, chocolate and copious amounts of wine and beer. Yup. I take full responsibility for my actions.

Of course, this has all taken place in the 2 weeks following my final Ironman and race of the season. It's the time to walk my dog, ride my horses, do yoga for 90 minutes instead of 30 minutes each day, sleep, party and eaaaaaaaat!

All was well, I only gained 4 pounds, which is about par for the course in my book, but what I didn't realize was the monster growing inside.

Oh no, this monster doesn't weigh anything, the monster doesn't eat anything, it just craves exercise. I completely tuned out this monster, but apparently, my "selective hearing" of it's pleas were heard by none other than Sam.

Sunday was a great day - filled with fun and sun and activities. Sunday night quickly became your worst nightmare. Sam was running late, almost 2 hours late for dinner making. He called (like the wonderful boyfriend he is) and asked what I'd like for dinner... and so it began:

Hungry Monster (HM): Uggggggggggg, I don't know, I'm uninspired.

Sam (the hero of our tale): Well, how about I go to the store and I'll grab some stuff to make pizza and salad. How does that sound?

HM: ooooooof, uggggg, whatever, I'll just get dressed and go to the store. There's nothing at the house. This is going to take forever. Maybe I should just order Chinese... What do you want from there?

Sam: What do you usually get?

HM: GENERAL TSOS TOFU!!!!

Sam: And sides?

HM: they don't have sides....ugggggg....it's not NYC..... they don't have veggie steamed dumplings or anything good, god, I don't want CHinese food, I want something healthy. Whatever, I'm just going to not eat tonight, I feel fat and I uggggggggggggggg.

Sam: Ok, well, how about I go to the store?

HM: uggggg...silent for several moments.... I'm just going to go to bed, I want to have 1 early night, just hang out with the boys.

Sam: I'm going to the store, I'll be there as soon as I can. Ok?

HM: ok.

Yes, this overly dramatized scene did occur and yes, the Hungry Monster Within was responsible for those snide comments, extended huffing sounds and l0ng silences.

As soon as Sam walked in the door, the monster was sated - a hug and it was almost gone... I apologized for my physiological freakout (they are always related to 1 of 2 things: lack of exercise or hunger) and then Sam said this:

"Get on your bike tomorrow. I don't care what you do or how long you do it, ride to Dunkies and home. Just get some exercise....Seriously."

So, yesterday, I put my big girl undies back on (figuratively of course!) and went for a 20 minute run with the dog. It felt SO good.

Sam the hero helped me slay the Monster (for now).

What to do today? Perhaps a ride on the fixie?!

2 comments:

CK said...

"I CHOSE to eat cookies, ice cream, chocolate and copious amounts of wine and beer."

I gain 4 pounds looking at that kind of food...

When it gets cold come ride with us at TT.

Chris

MandyB said...

For sure - I'm back to training on Monday and will def. seek you all out!

Matty said that Michellie Jones is coming on Friday to TT. If I can escape crazy-race-prep mode, I'll be there!