Monday, November 30, 2009

Cross, of course!

Well, dear readers, I finally did it. I got off my butt, put down the cookies and exercised. Yes, I've been staying "active" or "exceedingly active" according to my doctor, but if you ask me, I've been completely sedentary. Walking my dog, doing yoga and going out for trail rides on my horses are all enjoyable activities, but not strenuous (not that riding isn't strenuous, but relaxed trail rides are a pleasure).

I can't say I've missed my all-day workouts, but I do have some pangs of fitness memories, especially when I realize just how out of shape I've become. It's not a bad thing - in fact, it's precisely what I needed - time away from swimming/biking and running (or as far away as I can get, since I talk sbr daily for work).

Yesterday was different. Yesterday I finally christened my beautiful new birthday cross bike. I can't decide if it's a he or she yet, but I do know that it's awesome! Sam and I went riding from the horse farm for about 2 hours. We practiced technique (of which I have none) and etiquette.

I LOVE hopping back on my bike (a flying mount). I LIKE dismounting, riding uphill, downhill and everything in between. But I HATE carrying the bike - my poor bony shoulders are not a fan of top tubes.

It was a blast and my cross master of a boyfriend was a great teacher - he kept smiling even as saying, "you might want to brake" as I careened down a rocky path.

The verdict: Sam told me that I'm "Ignorantly aggressive...and that's a good thing!" Translation: I tackle scary, dangerous terrain and obstacles without thinking about them.... sounds like a cross mindset to me! Sweet!

2 comments:

Erin said...

saweeet! have fun crossing it up! :)

CK said...

I'm so jealous!!!