Friday, November 21, 2008

Day is Dawning

"yonder come day, day is a breakin', yonder come day, oh my soul. Yonder come day, day is a breakin', sun is a risin' on my soul"

My big sister is away in India with her boyfriend (soon to be my brother in law - YAY!), so I've been supervising her students riding and covering her share of barn chores. It's a blast and I'm happiest in the sunshine and around my horses. As Sam found out last night, I'm also happier when I've had something to eat.

In talking to one of the moms, she made a comment - "you are just like that pony of yours - energetic, but laid back - every day is a new day, no grudges, no negativity." It was a nice reminder. The past few months have been tricky - a journey on re-discovering and appreciating all aspects of my life. I think I'm a naturally happy person - I think upsets should be temporary. My family still jokes that I've only been angry 3 times in my life. Which is really true. If I'm angry or upset, it usually lasts 3-5 minutes and then I'm over it. Dwelling on negativity or upset does no one any good.

Years ago, my polar opposite of a sister, gave me a birthday present(now she just gives me presents and attaches what she'd like for her birthday with it - yup, $500 north face coat - hope you are staying warm in India, Sis!). She usually gives a serious and gag gift. The gag gift a few years ago was a self help book called "happiness is a choice". I almost died laughing. An entire book on how to choose to be happy. Might be me, but I feel like happiness isn't some transient thing or even something you can choose or force. It is a state of being - you either are or you are not.

All of this got me thinking on my friends - many of the people that I love the most are complicated personalities. Anna for example - Anna banana aka AnnaChrist is one of the fiercest competitors - angry and intense. She scares people and I love that - yet we get together and the world cannot stop us - or shush us.... not even that angry guy w/ his dowdy wife on the airplane! Anna is confident beyond measure and it's her friendship. The friendships I have that make me confident and happy. Making others happy makes me happy. Waking up to my puppy or a warm smile makes me happy.

So come on day - I can't wait to see what's next.

Oh, and I promise, dear readers, I will start training again soon! I'm sitting down with Coach E-Rock on Monday and you will all get a close look into my 2009 season!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I think we knew you less than 24 hours, and you and michael had gone on a run. He came back and said he loved your attitude...all positive energy, nothing negative! What a great judge of character he is. I try to keep that way...you gotta keep those people away...the ones who try and bring you down.
I guarantee that's why the Seiler girls were so drawn to you! Marcia

MandyB said...

Awww - I miss y'all so much!! Need to start pen-palling w/ those girls of yours! Gosh - do people even pen-pal anymore? It's so nice to get a real letter!