Tuesday, November 11, 2008

So this is....

This time of year, I find myself thinking and saying things that begin with the words "So this is....".

For example: "so this is how everyone else eats" or "so this is how it feels to only take 1 shower a day instead of 3". It's a strange sensation and I have to say, I'm happy to have this for about 2 weeks and then get back to crazy athlete land. There are so many projects that I let collect until the off season - painting walls, moving things from storage, getting my year end tax documents ready - getting next year's races ready!

I think with Ironman and long distance racing in general, it is so much of what defines us throughout the year. Social plans are made around workouts (and energy levels). Meals are determined by nutritional guidelines and calorie counts. I forget that not everyone functions and works and lives while training 20-30 hours a week. Granted, my work is very flexible, but it's pretty cool to sit back and appreciate what we all do - riding bikes for hours, running for hours and swimming and being functional people on top of it with families, jobs and time for some fun.

So I'll take another week like this one - my hair is happy to be free of chlorine and my feet, well, those look permanently gnarly, esp. after the double Ironman... pretty feet are on the list of "to-do's". Yes.... before and after pics to come!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Even when I'm not working out a ton, I still like taking two showers a day.

Even if I bummed around all day, it makes me feel like I did something deserving enough of an afternoon shower. :-)