Sunday, November 2, 2008

We've only just begun

2008 has been a year of lessons, that's for sure. I've mentioned before that I was thrown for a loop when I qualified in the spring for Kona. Achieving a long-term goal before many of my short term ones left me a bit up in the air. I opted to still race lake placid and I had thoughts of doing florida (both races I signed up for in 2007).

As you all know, I was having the 10:30 day of my life when I was crashed out at mile 86. It was a huge blow to my confidence and it took me a while to climb out of that upset and dissapointment. It was an email from amanda lovato that got me out of the slump. She suggested I try on my big girl undies. I did. They still fit and I toughened up.

Yesterday was an experiment. This year I did 3 ironmans within a 4 month span, 2 of those within 3 weeks. The advice from the coaches? "You've got nothing to lose". I went in with an open mind, hoping for that 10:30 time, but having no real expectations.

When I spoke with Jim today, I said, "well, now we know I can't do ironmans back-to-back". His response: "not yet. Give it a few years". Pretty cool to have someone believe in you like that. I really appreciated that neither John nor Jim told me no - they both supported my desire to try.

I felt great going into this race, snappy, fit and relaxed. Had a great practice swim 2 days before and had a renewed desire to crush it.

Race day came and I was excited but relaxed. Joey was awesome, giving my bike one last tuning and bearing with my pre- race silence - contrary to popular belief, I get quieter, the more focused I get before a competition.

The swim felt better this year than last, still rough, but much more enjoyabe. I knew I wasn't my snappy self when I exited the water in the same time as at hawaii - really slow for me. With a wetsuit and the salt water, I should have been faster, it was a tip off to the day ahead. The bike had a honkin' headwind the whole day. Cheating was rampant and I went back and forth as to whether I should hang with a group or stick to my own race. Each time I thought of sitting in to gain some relief, a ref would come and penalize a peleton of 80 - I took it as a sigfn to stick to the iron-code. The first 40 miles I averaged 22 mph abd I payed for it, blowing up and essentially soft-pedaling until mile 86 when my nutrition (ahem caffeine ahem) kicked in. I picked it up going home and had a camera man eztra for those last 12 miles.

I was happy to be off the bike, very happy. I started into the run and the first 7 or ao miles clicked by slowly , but comfotably enough, it's ironman, it's always painful. Then around mile 9 I began melting down. By mile 11 I was stumbling, then I lay on someone's lawn for a good 20 minutes before getting up and run walking my way to the start of lap 2. I've never had to wlk during a marathon before, not even to throw up. I was in deep trouble. I went into panic mode - ice, gatorade, cola, water, cookies...lots of cookies. I then atarted thinking about everyone that supports me and I vowed to finish. I walked the aid stations, but kept moving forward.

My time was way slower than last year and I was just about 10 percent off where I'd like to have been all day, but some days aren't about pr's or splits, they are about testing your limits and seeing what you can do. I made it to that line and felt better post race than I ever have before.

Now I'll shut things down for a bit and get my 20090goals in order.

Huge thank you's to my coaches Jim ortel and John Hirsch for letting me learn the tough lessons and never limiting me.

My parents - esp my mom who has this ironman thing down.

Joey - my super ninja mechanic - thank you for not getting sick of me - I'm so psyched we're friends and I will def pay your support crew expertise forward. You will rock ironman!!

Thank you to my sponsors: xterra wetsuits, block island sport shop, perfect 3 nutrition, cannondale, louis garneau, bear naked granola, elizabeth braverman horse training.

Many many thnks for your patience and support this experimental season.

Next year def includes st croix, ironman lake placid and plenty of cycling races with my new team...more on that soon!!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing...some days you just finish, and have to be happy with that. Good job...take a good long rest. The Seiler girls were cheering you on all day.

Holden said...

The fact that you dug in and did it is incredibly inspiring. Awesome job, Brave Mandy!

BreeWee said...

Way to go chica... each year only gets a bit better as we learn right!? So count this year as learning a LOT!

Happy recovery to you...and I put St. Croix back on my 09 list too, so maybe see ya then!

Bree

rob said...

Ms. M, I didn't know you were racing IMFL. That's one helluva back to back, Kona then IMFL. Way to gut it out and finish. Proud of ya!