Monday, June 8, 2009

Benchmarks

Yesterday, Sam and I raced the Rev-3 Triathlon in Middlebury, CT. I had gone back and forth as to whether or not I'd race and at the last minute, I opted in. The days before the event, I hung with the Cannondale crew at the demo truck, not doing a whole lot besides drinking beer and bs'ing with passers-by! It was a nice way to relax and get excited for the race all at once.

Sunday morning came faster than expected and at 3:30 the alarm went off... it was time for some applesauce, banana, sports drink and a protein shake... I hopped back into bed for another hour or so before waking up to begin the true pre-race routine. Tri suit, timing chip, sunscreen, fake tatoos from sponsors and mascara (it's just part of the routine, ok?!). By 5 AM we were out the door and on our way to Middlebury. No one was out - and why would they be, isn't Sunday usually the go-to 'day of rest'?

The transition was packed with those classic type-A's that arrive as soon as transition opens. I like to have an hour from when transition closes. That way you have enough time to take care of what you need to do (fill tires, put nutrition on the bike, use the bathroom and check everything over once more) before going down to the water for a warm-up. I have to say, it was great being around Sam. The way I feel before bike races is the way he feels before triathlon - no nerves, just amazing calm energy. We did some on-land drills to warm up, and to our amusement, found we'd be starting in the same wave.

Now, a bit of back-story. There were some bets (well, more than a few, try an office-full) going around Cannondale as to who would beat whom... In any event, like a true diplomat, Sam said he wanted to cross the line holding hands with me... I think he re-considered that after he realized how gross you get during a race.

The first few waves of athletes went off into the chilly, but calm, waters. The clockwise course was changed to a counter-clockwise course and I was super excited (as I tend to breath left during races). We barely made it thru the corral and I was fixing my goggles when the cannon fired. Crap! I hadn't even picked a good line-up or anything! I did my best to get into the water (well, maybe not my best) as I got pumled and knocked about by the over-eager boys. Goggles off and a few dunks later, I got myself back together only to sight and see the lead pack about 20 meters in front of me. I swam like hell, but swimming alone is no match for a pack working together. I swam alone the rest of the way and not as straight as usual. I exited the water with my slowest 1/2 IM swim to date of 33 minutes.

Exiting the water, I was surrounded by friends. One of the biggest benefits to racing local is that everyone knows your name. I was super motivated to make up for my swim as I entered transition. Waiting in there was the Cannondale dream-team of Curt Davis and Eric Hodska (Cappie, their swimmer was still in the water). Eric asked me how it went and as I got ready, I filled him in and said I would make up for it. Onto the bike, I felt great immediately - it helps that the first few miles are a speedy descent. Onto the hills, the legs were spinning smoothly and I was taking it easy. I had orders to take it easy until about mile 27- coming out of Litchfield. Things were going well. I felt that I was going easy, yet I was averaging over 20 mph for the first 20+ miles. My tummy was good and I got in all of my nutrition without incident -even swallowing the salt tablets (usually it takes a few tries to get them down).

Going thru Thomaston, the temp read 71 degrees - just perfect for triathlon!

That was about where Sam caught me - calling out "Hey Sweetheart!". With the wind, I didn't recognize his voice and prepared for a nasty glare and 'keep your hands to yourself' type comment, but was pleasantly surprised to see my boy! He looked great, happy, smooth and fluid. He took off down the road and I couldn't help but feel proud of him.

Out of Thomaston, we climbed up rte 254. All the pre-race chatter was about the murderous bike hills - well, though my speed declined in the 2nd half of the bike, I didn't feel wasted. I think I just took the climbs too easy - instead of powering over, I was thinking of saving my legs for the run. Good intentions don't always pan out.

Back into transition and onto the run, I thought of coach Eric - he said to take the first few miles easy and let my legs warm up. I was in great spirits (probably due to the caffeine pill I popped coming off the bike). I was cheering people on and they cheered back. I had a few run buddies and it was a blast.

The bike was not the challenge of the event, but instead the run. The run course was changed at the last minute and oh buddy, did it hurt (so good!). It became a real race of attrition as many athletes were slowed to a crawl. Though the sports drink did not agree with me ( I threw up after every sip), I found the course a lot of fun. I stopped looking at my watch a few miles in and decided that timing miles was useless, I just had to keep running. Simple as that, just keep running. I passed a number of people in the last 4 miles, though the last mile climb almost finished me. I crossed the line happy to have completed the first tri of the season, no injuries, no mechanicals, just fun. Sam and my Mom were waiting there and it was glorious.

I saw coach E - both of us were hoping for a more impressive performance, but I think I have new motivation for Placid.

Goal 1. Loose 15 lbs. Goal 2. Get in more s/b/r time Goal 3. SLEEP Goal 4. Clean up the diet - 1 beer or glass of wine is ok, any more than that is excessive. Goal 5. Keep the happiness and positivity I had during this race - I found my happy racing space, that relaxed place where no negative thoughts can enter. Eric had me focus on my Prahnayama (a yoga breathing technique) to ward off any distractions and it worked.

This was an emotionally charged race in a lot of ways and could have been stressful, but I followed the advice of people far wiser than myself and blocked out and avoided the negativity. Many thanks to the undercover security team for helping me feel safe and secure and to the many friends, sponsors and family that offered their support, love and friendship. It may be an individual event, but it definitely does not happen alone...and you all are what I think about at tough times.

Last, but certainly not least, congratulations to Sam on finishing your first 1/2 Iron and beating me by 16 minutes! I have a feeling an Ironman may be on the horizon for that one!!

Photos to come!!

ps. I think I need to do some "before" and "after" photos as I embark on this super diet and IM push. I'd love any and all feedback, advice, or even heckling as it will keep me away from the cookies and booze!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

i SO loved this post and almost felt like i was there cheering you two on - way to go! a) i can't believe you threw up after each drink...trooper! b) glad you had so many friends / family there to help make you feel safe and comfortable so you could race your butt off without worry!! c) can't think of any heckling to aid in your weight loss journey because, truthfully, you look so great! but, i understand it's for racing...so good luck! :)

Jamie said...

It was great meeting you and Sam this weekend. Congrats on an awesome race! The run was a killer, but a blast being able to see just about everyone on the long out and back.