Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Scenes from a long run

This not-so-little momma snapping turtle was making her way from the lower pond at the horse farm, to the upper pond. This is the 3rd turtle sighting in so many days - looks like it's time for these girls to lay eggs...and eat the Canadian Geese.


At the end of a long run, it can be a bit disconcerting to hear a rustling in the grass - I thought it was a snake! This turtle was enormous. I'm bummed I couldn't zoom in. The legs and tail, not to mention neck on this thing were as thick as my calves (and those of you that know me, know that my calves are bigger than my quads, so that's big!!)! Claws on the feet were finger length and that epic shell was about the size of 5 or 6 basket balls bunched together. HUGE.

Grabbing my camera for a bonus few minutes, the turtle could care less as I snapped away. A few footsteps after this shot, she wasn't quite so happy and went into a downward-dog like pose while hissing. That was my que to do some "strides" practice back to the car.

Today, Wednesday is a triple-workout day. 70 min. run this AM, swim at lunch and bike race, plus some tonight.

The diet was supposed to be over today, but will continue as I'd like to lose an additional 10 lbs from the 10 I've already lost. It'll happen!!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Holy crap. I've seen some big turtles before, but that thing is huge! Watch those toes!

Erin said...

oh my goodness! i'm from the 'land o snapping turtles' and have had an encounter or two myself. very cool, but can be very scary at the same time! the way you've described this mama, she seems ginormous!!! what a cool 'scene' on a run! ;)