Monday, June 1, 2009

Here Comes The Bride

That's the music that played as my older sister walked down the isle on Saturday night. Dressed in a beautiful Grecian style dress, in a hall lit by afternoon sunshine, she committed herself in marriage.

It was beautiful and scary all at once. Getting our hair done earlier that day, I was all nerves, my sister? Calm as could be. She remained that way the whole day, confidently reciting her vows and showing the world that she was marking yet another "adult" landmark along the way.

It was pretty surreal. I know my sister and I are no longer playing 'my little ponies', but somehow, it didn't hit me until we were standing there on the altar - she is starting her own family - one separate from the tight-knit circle of my Mom, Dad and me.

The weekend as a whole was a wild time - Sam's birthday was on Friday (as was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner). After the rehearsal dinner we made our way to Tarrywile to party with the Cannondale crew - we arrived at about 10 PM and it was still hopping - people outside playing, beer flowing and plenty of happy sounds from within. We brought out the cakes (carrot and chocolate indulgence) and everyone sang...LOUD! It was wonderful. The festivities didn't end until nearly 2 AM.

That didn't stop us from waking up early the following morning to get in a workout before my 2pm hair appointment. I was crabby, because I didn't want to get off my bike - Sam difused the situation with an iced coffee from dunkies and I was off.

The wedding and celebration went by in a flash, but that didn't stop us from hitting the hay around 2 AM again... Sunday morning brought a chance to sleep in (mercifully) before a breakfast from 10-12. I visited for a bit and then passed out on the lawn with the dogs - the sunshine was just too much to resist.

Later that afternoon, Sam and I headed out for my new favorite run loop - it takes you thru 3 State parks and is challenging and beautiful. Sam pushed the pace for the full 2hours and we took turns attacking eachother (he on the uphills, me on the downhills). Protein shakes followed and then a phone call - "We have leftover wine, cheese and risotto!" - needless to say, we were at my parents house before they could hang up the phone.

Lots of work to catch up on this week that fell by the wayside with all the wedding craziness, and in a way, I'll miss the excitment, but more excitment (of a different sort) is just around the corner. Despite the schedule, my training has been great and I'm looking forward to this weekend's race at Rev -3 (Sam-boy's 1st 1/2 Iron ... and I don't know if I'll beat him!).

1 comment:

Erin said...

sounds like the wedding was a blast. i can't wait to see some photos, i'm sure everyone looked great! and i'm glad you had such a nice time at sammy's bday party, woo hoo!! :) good luck this weekend!