Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Dance while you Can"

While there are far more profound quotes to be found in Auden, I loved this one from "Letters from Iceland".

The quote is a beautiful reminder to embrace life . Yesterday I was struggling a bit with my mo-mo (aka: motivation). I thought of this quote and remembered that I have the great fortune of a job that I love, time enough to spend with those I love and to do the things I love! Triathlon is not for everyone, but I am so thankful that I have come to this sport. The friendships and bonds I've made are unbreakable and the calmness this sport has given me is something I'm reminded of every day.

Riding my bicycle for hours, on roads unknown to others, is a source of great joy. Doing so with friends, makes the experience that much better.

Chasing Sam down makes me stronger. Riding with the girls makes me laugh louder. And riding alone makes me mentally tougher.

So, bored? Not a chance. You've got to dance while you can!

5 comments:

Erin said...

love it, girly!!

Anonymous said...

What's your job?

MandyB said...

Welcome Anonymous reader! You can check out part of what I do at www.endureitmultisports.com

I put on a series of eco-friendly charity races here in CT (more to be added in 2010). I also organize training camps abroad for cyclist, triathletes and their spouses. I coach some phenomenal female athletes of varying levels and abilities. I also do athletic consulting for races both in the US and abroad.

When I left the world of PR and Advertising, I wanted to make sure I was doing something (else) that I love and this is it!

Throw in some figure modeling for artists in CT, MA and NYC and you've got yourself a packed schedule, full of fun and fulfillment!

Next on the bill? I'm debating about going back to school for my MBA or possibly a Masters in Nutrition!

Anonymous said...

I don't mean this in a mean way, and I know it's cowardly posting as anonymous and that's a totally separate issue, but seriously... do you make money at that stuff?

Because either you are a total hustler to squeeze rent out of those games, or else there are some rich parents backstage...

Either way it's fascinating and you have a really enjoyable blog here so cheers.

MandyB said...

Nope, no rich parents. I've worked my own little buns off since I can remember. First with horses, then advertising and PR and now Triathlon.

But thanks for reminding me that it's not about the money...oh wait, I remember that every day. I do these things because I love them, not because I have to, but because I want to. I rely on myself and yes, I can pay the rent because I'm no longer supporting a loaf of a human. Just me and my dog!