Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Falling Off the Wagon

It happens... sometimes... I'll admit it.

I don't want it to happen. Well, maybe I do.

Who am I kidding? Of course, I do!

I'm a healthy eater. I prefer fresh fruits to anything and if you ask me my favorite food, I'll tell you it's salad. Of course, that's only one of my halves speaking. The other half wants dark chocolate, muffins and cookies. And Wine... lots of really good wine!

I wouldn't say I "suppress" the unhealthy eater in me - I generally don't want or crave any bad-for-me foods... but occasionally, I fall off the wagon in a major way. Today started off well enough - a balanced breakfast before my swim. That's about where the good eating choices ended...

My 1 hour drive home took me past Dunkies and well, that egg and cheese on a croissant with orange juice was just too irresistible...and for the first time in who knows how long, I got a donut. I wanted it. There's no other reason that went into it. I simply wanted it. So I got it.

I didn't feel guilty at that point knowing I had hill-repeats to run, a horse to ride and a dog to exercise. Of course, what happened after all of those activities cannot be reversed: An afternoon snack was in the "healthy" range, until someone decided to offer me a muffin. Forgive me dear readers, but how could I say "no" to a coffee-cake muffin, prepared to perfection?!

I've decided that rather than feel badly about falling off the wagon, I should be happy - I obviously needed to feed my hormonal (or whatever it is) craving. Sugar is not a necessary part of your diet, but it can bring its own happiness...meanwhile, my friend Kate is yelling at her computer screen reading this. :) And I'm sure I'll get a note from Eric reminding me I have a few more pounds to lose.

All in good time, and now that I've rewarded myself by being bad, I can get back to being good again (for a while, at least)!

1 comment:

Erin said...

oh my goodness, a donut...can't remember the last time i had one of those, but i could really go for one right about now. seriously!

and and egg and cheese on a croissant. :)