Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Slushy

Today was a jam-packed day - there week before traveling is always mayhem - mine was filled with some fun mis-filings by my accountant. They had me scared that I'd face penalties, but a call to the CT Department of Revenue Services ended up surprisingly pleasant! Greg at the DRS was SO helpful and walked me through the process of doing what my accountant was [apparently] incapable of! Wheph - at least that's a bit of relief. I'm waiting on my accountant for a few more documents and hopefully I'll have everything squared away by Friday (when we fly far, far away for Italy!).

In other news, training is going well - swimming is finally coming along. After a crappy swim on Saturday where I called Eric and told him that I'm fat and slow, things turned around and I was swimming fast (relatively) and effortlessly (again, relatively). I got in a bunch of long muscle strength sets on a 1:15 pace and it was exactly what I needed to get my mind right again.

Today I went for a super run - it was hilly and snowy and beautiful. About 10 minutes in, as I ran in the oncoming lane (on the side of the road, of course), I heard a car coming up behind me (on the opposite side of the road). I didn't think anything of it, until I heard them swerve and just as they passed me; drove through the nasty slush in the center of the road....Soaking me in nasty slush. I was so shocked, I stopped in my tracks and threw my hands in the air.

A few guys in a moving truck were about to pull out of a driveway and saw the whole thing. They asked if I was alright and if I wanted them to go hunt the car down... nice offer, but I declined.

It's amazing what a little empathy will do for a person. Rather than cry about my inadvertent (er, intentional!) shower, the fact that someone took the time to smile and ask about my condition put a smile back on my face. The world is filled with good people, (and a few crappy ones), just as I thought.

3 comments:

Erin said...

grrr, i really hate when that happens. riding my bike in daily AM and PM traffic is showing me just how many rude - and kind - drivers there are out there. (well, i guess if you break it down, what other kinds could there be, haha) anyway, i feel your pain, girl! ps - i bet there will be no slushy roads in montalcino! wooooo

Caitlin said...

LOL about the "fat and slow" comment only because I have been suffering a rib injury and unable to swim for the past 7 weeks. I got back in the pool last week and thought the same exact thing about myself. I pouted, cried and whined like a baby and to make myself feel better, I went for a really FAST run. Needed some sort of assurance ;-) Happy training and dont let the NE weather get ya down too much.

Caitlin said...

Hey Mandy - OK about the Garmin....Hmmmm...I have the 405 which was a bit difficult to figure out also. I almost threw it out the first day because it wouldnt turn on but then I realized that I needed to charge the battery - LOL. OK - if you press the start\stop button and then hold down the training button down, it should go into the "locating satellite" mode. Once it finds the satellite, its ready so all you have to do is press start\stop again. There have a few moments of disappointment, however with this handy little tool. I went for my first run with it and took off at a steady 8MM pace according to my stop watch but the Garmin read it is a 12:30MM. Also, when I ran the NYC half a few weeks back, my total time was off by like 45 seconds copared to the NYRR clock although the mileage splits were 100% dead on. It was weird and I didnt dare sit down to try and figure out the math because I am a mathematical retard.