Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Body Fat (such an alluring subject)

Yesterday I ventured down South (well, to Southern, CT) to have a face-to-face meeting with Coach E-Rock

The plan was to talk training - where I'm at, where I'm going and have my body fat tested. The goal is to get the body fat tested every 6-8 weeks from now on to determine my progress. After tea and lunch, I noticed Eric fidgeting with the body fat calipers - moment of truth baby! How fat have I gotten since my last Ironman?!

Eric did a multiple-point test, factored in body weight, age, etc. and while driving home, I got the results of my test. 13 % body fat. My response to Eric, "So what does that say about me right now and what is a safe percentage to aim for?". In 2007 after Ironman Lake Placid I had my body fat tested and it was 10.7 % funny thing is, I think I'm a bit leaner now, despite just starting my training again (and some extreme holiday excess - what can I say, I love wine!).

In any case, Eric said that most fit women are between 19-25% body fat. My 13% puts me in the 90th percentile. My goal body fat is right around 11% and not much lower (otherwise you risk a loss in bone density, amenorrhea (loss of your period) and other lovely female problems). My body weight right now is a whopping 115 - lord, how did that happen?! That's a good 15 + pounds more than I was in Hawaii.

In other words, I just came up with a new goal - lower my body fat, lower my body weight and stay healthy doing it.

4 comments:

Erin said...

good lord, little one, you put me to shame. ;) i love my wine, too! i haven't had my body fat tested since i was in college - yikes! perhaps i should start an actual 'routine' for my workouts and that would help get me back on track. i want to be back on track... ;) good luck with your training! we missed you last night!!

Anonymous said...

Dayum. That is lean. Just don't go too low. No sense in being lean if you can't go fast. :-)

alan said...

You said that you feel leaner... go with that.

EH always tells me not to sweat the numbers (my weight, for example, is a big number for a small guy). You've got the right attitude- reasonable goals for the right reason.

BreeWee said...

Oh my goodness you are little! I would love to hear the words, 115 and low body fat! NICE job Mandy, way to stay in shape! AND Brave too... maybe I will tuffen up and get mine tested!

No more wine for you...ha ha ha...