Sunday, January 11, 2009

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate gear

This line is from a pro-roadie friend of mine. He splits his time between road cycling in the summer and competitive skiing in the winter. I think if you love the outdoors and you love your training, nothing will stop you from getting it in.

My run focus continues as coach E-rock has me running 6-7 days a week. I'm loving it and for the first time since I was really fit, I had a great run. One of those effortless runs where your legs just go. The run ended up being a night-time woodsy run. No headlamp, no flashlight, just the moonlight and the snow lighting my way. It was eerie and as I ran, the wind picked up, knocking down trees and branches. I felt light and fast and fit.

It is now day 6 of the cleanse diet and I'm feeling good. I've lost 4 lbs already and my energy is consistent again. Yesterday with the big storm coming in and black ice covering the roads, the call was made to train at Cannondale. On any particular weekend day, the office is just as full as if it were a normal workday. The C-dale gym is a fitness mecca (and the trails behind the office are amazing too!). I did something I've never done before and got in my "long ride" on a combination of 1:30 on rollers and the rest of the time on a trainer watching the 2003 Tour-de-France.

Then I strapped on my running shoes and worked the treadmill. It was a blast and as someone who is anti indoor workouts, it was something refreshing and different. Personally I love running in the cold, but it was fun to sweat a bit more and just crank inside. Checking out my form and saying thank you Eric - the Cleanse has gotten rid of that little extra holiday jiggle... I'm pretty close to being able to slice fruit with my hip bones and elbows.

No comments: