Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Positivity

On NPR the other morning, there was a guest that cited this week as the worst of the New Year. Stress returns as we all return to work, well intentioned New Year's resolutions fall by the wayside as a busy life resumes....well, that's partly true.

When I heard the story it got me thinking about all the cliches we tell ourselves to keep plugging away. Rather than be down on these statements, I think they can be useful and helpful (when used in moderation, of course!). For me, the recent phrase has been "Life is what you make of it". With that in mind, this year, I hope to keep my friendships alive throughout my training. Last year, my training related goal was to never say "I have bad legs" or "I'm just not feeling snappy today". I tend to take the previous year's solution and add the new one on top of it. A few years ago, my training resolution was to never walk during a run (save for the emergency bathroom stop!). This year, I want to find balance again. I want to train and race as hard as I possibly can, but I think I will do that better, if I can balance some time in away from s/b/r. I thrive in a positive and warm setting and with the help of Coach Eric, it is definitely attainable. The motto for this year is a quote I love from Isadora Duncan - "Live your life Sans-Limites" (Live your life without limits).

It's cold and freezing rain is falling outside, but there is still a swim and a run to do. Happy training this new Year and I hope you all can set some great new goals and mottos to fuel you thru the seasons!

1 comment:

Ski Dad said...

Great goals, now stop posting and go RUN!