Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To Twitter or Not

Recently I've gotten a number of emails from people telling me to Twitter. For those of you who are not familiar with Twitter, it is like a mini blog - usually one word to one sentence updates that are then posted on the site and, if your "followers" have chosen, the update will be sent to their phone or email. Think of it as a gmail or facebook "status" that people don't just see if they check it, but are actually forced to read, like getting an email or text message.

Updating a blog daily (or Monday-Friday as I've now decided to do), definitely takes some effort. Some days I just don't think I should write. Do you really want to hear me complain about filing my year-end taxes or scrubbing the toilet? Didn't think so.

My Grandmother always says, "You don't write to say something, you write because you've got something to say." I don't believe that quote actually belongs to her, but hell, she'll take credit for it, damnit.

My worry is having too many lines of high tech communication open at once - and what that means. At this point, I keep in touch with people like everyone else - emailing, texting, writing the occasional wall post on facebook. My fear is that with all this typing, I'm slowly moving away from REAL communication - i.e. talking or seeing my friends. Are all of our blog posts, updates, status changes and twitters helping us to start a conversation with someone or negate it?

Are we really communicating, or are we just finding ways to multitask, alert everyone to what we're up to all the time so we really don't have to ever really communicate at all?

Yup, it's a twisted world between these blonde braids, but as someone who loves talking more than anything else, I feel like I need to preserve some talking points. Mind you, as much as I share here about my days, nights, training, diet and the like, you can bet there's a whole lot I'm not telling you... so let's put on a pot of tea and gab.

2 comments:

Erin said...

i totally agree with you that we need to leave some room for REAL communication, the old fashioned kind! random, but i was thinking about it the other day and i bet high school reunions will not have the turn-outs they used to in the years to come- everyone is now connected via facebook, blogs, etc. and the majority of us have at least some idea what is going on with everyone...which defeats the purpose of a reunion in many people's eyes! so, to not twitter is my vote! ;)

Anonymous said...

I was a huge twitter skeptic until about a year ago. I finally joined around December '07 and once I got a bunch of followers and played around, I got totally obsessed. It is awesome.

There are a lot of interesting (at least to me) updates that I want to share, but aren't worth a whole blog post. Twitter is my way to blog between posts.

I also only get direct messages on my phone so that I don't have a million text messages coming in, but there are apps for Blackberrys that make it a lot easier to use twitter from the road.

But then again, I just started doing freelance work for a woman who has her own twitter/microblogging consulting company, so I may be a little biased.

Oh well. Just try it. It is hard to explain until you do, but very easy to get addicted to. I've ended up meeting tons of cool tri peeps in person because of it too. You know. That REAL kind of communication?