Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day

It has been a busy week, but I think that's the sign of a good week! Lots happening here in Mandyland - new sponsorship opportunities, new charitable opportunities, it is all VERY cool!

The June 19th Lake Waramaug Eco-Friendly Charity Sprint tri is fast approaching and the 1/2 Iron too at this point.

My training has been going well and I'm working with Eric on nutrition now. With so much packed in, Sam and I have been eating dinner European style - around 10pm most nights. This weekend was a trip to New Hampshire for a birthday celebration. It was fantastic. Portsmouth is such a cute town - like a mini Boston! We had a superb dinner (yup, late again) at the Blue Mermaid, a kind of Caribbean fusion restaurant. The service was great and the meal delicious. Sunday was spent outdoors and with Sam's family, then it was back to CT for a wild memorial day party. We arrived around 10 PM and it was mayhem.

Yesterday, we woke up to the sounds of fire engines honking and some crazy military planes flying so low, the house shook. I looked out my window (there's a fire station across the street) and noticed all of the firemen dressed in matching uniforms. Excited, I pulled Sam and Luna out of bed and we walked up to the green of New Milford to watch the parade. Everyone was out and it was the perfect morning to soak up the sun.

We arrived just as one of the vets was playing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes and looking around, most everyone was moved to near tears. Seeing these dapper, proud men and women, reminded me of those in my family that served our country.

Both of my Grandfathers served during World War II. My Mom's Father served in the Navy and my Father's Father was a Bomber Pilot in those tiny planes. I had the great fortune of getting to know both of these men, they were an active part of my life until their deaths while I was in high school. They had never spoken about their war experiences until my sister and I were asked, as children in Montessorri school, to interview our grandparents. It was an eye opening experience and though we are at war today, I feel somehow removed from it. Maybe because of my own political leanings, maybe because I've never been asked to serve or had the bravery to seek out combat. Whatever politics or ideals one holds, there should always be a certain amount of reverance and respect for those that do serve. BBQ's, warm weather and a day off are nice, and it's wonderful to know that is all possible because of those that have taken a stand for our Country.

No comments: