Monday, October 20, 2008

Going back to Boston

"I'm going back to Boston, gonna find my winning ways". -drop kick murphys

There is always some letdown after ironman, even after a brilliant race, a bit more so after one that catches you off guard. No doubt, I enjoyed every moment of kona, but I was not prepared for the level of difficulty of each of those obstacles. It was a wake up call and it is getting the gears going on some new goals.

In just under 2 weeks I am going to attempt another Ironman in florida. It will either be a brilliant or brilliantly stupid idea, but I owe it to myself to try.

Today I made my way to Boston. I love it here. New yorkers are tough, but bostonites are brutal. Driving into the city where I lived my undergraduate life is a wonderdful homecoming. It's strange to think I was so eager to leave, that I graduated early and took off for europe with a bicycle.

When I came to boston, I didn't even know what the ironman was. I remember calling John after I ran my first 10 mile run. I had never run that far. Same with swimming and cycling. I saved his voicemail response for years.

Coming back to boston is a reminder to celebrate the knowledge and experience I've gained. Smile at the memories of the girl that had no swim/bike/run background, but a lot of determination.

Yup, I'm back in boston to find me all over again, to find that fire, newness and excitement and give old mandy a good old fashion ass kicking!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is Boston? Hope you found your fire! Marcia

Holden said...

I love love love Boston. Home of the greatest marathon, clam chowder and of course, the Red Sox. Have fun!