Friday, October 10, 2008

The long and winding road

Finishing my first Ironman... you'd think it would feel good to stop, but that's when it actually starts to hurt.
Finishing in a new PR time of 11:19 at Ironman Florida 2007. I took risks and they paid off that day.
Jubilation, relief and utter excitement as I realize I'm going to KONA!!!
My swwwweeeet race gear. Mahalo to all of my sponsors and to WinSkins for the beautiful print job. Check out the new helmet....
Just some of the free stuff I scored walking around today. It's like Channukah!!



It took me 5 tries to get to the Ford Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. The first time I crossed the Ironman finish line at Ironman Lake Placid in 2006, the volunteer told me I had a Kona spot. I got a flat tire in the first 3 miles of the bike at that race and it took me 6 minutes to change it. I finished 6 minutes behind 1st place. The next morning, I went to the Hawaii Registration and found there was only 1 spot. I was crushed and it overshadowed the joy of having done my first Ironman and marathon... until about 1/2 way through the car ride home when I realized what I had done and was hooked.

2007 brought more opportunities to try and qualify: St Croix 1/2 Iron and Ironman Lake Placid. I narrowly missed qualifying at St Croix and was determined to make Placid count. The Ironman gods were not with me that year as a loose cleat led to awful knee pain, then followed by uncontrollable vomiting. I finished in almost an identical time as my first race. My 2nd Ironman was a pure sufferfest and I was getting fed-up with the idea of progress (really more my lack. I felt stagnant and I was difficult to work with as an athlete. Thank goodness John and Jimmy stuck by me.

After the Placid disaster, I called everyone I knew to see if I could get a spot at either Ironman UK or Florida. Matt Cappiello over at Cannondale saved the day and got me a spot at Ironman Florida where I went on to have a breakthrough day, posting a new personal best time of 11:19. I had a bad swim, an awesome bike and a great run, making my way into 2nd place throughout the race. I took risks and I decided if I blew up, it wouldn't be a big deal - I'd find my limits. I didn't blow up and I had a rockin' day. Despite taking 2nd, I'm more proud of that finish than any other to date.

After another Winter of training in Spain with the Strong Like Bull group, then bike racing like crazy, I again ventured to St Croix - the evil, wickedly hot, hilly and windy island. I love it there and the race director is top notch. I had a nice swim lead out from Hannah again (thanks for that!) and was top 5 of the amateurs for the bike portion. I then went on to the run where I extended my 10 minute lead over the other girls. Crossing the line, I was in disbelief. I won my age group, took top 10 of the amateur overall and punched my ticket to Kona. Getting to share that w/ Coach J, AnnaChrist, Ken, Joe, Liz, Justin, Hannah and Noah, was the coolest ever. Hannah and Noah were engaged at that race, making the post-race festivities that much more special.

My season since then has been one like no other. Lacking somewhat in direction as my long-term goal was achieved before many short-term ones. I decided to still race Ironman Lake Placid and went in super fit, wanting to be the top amateur and post a 10:40 or better time. I was right on track, on that perfect day (pouring and 50 degrees) when at mile 86 I was run off the road. I woke up in an ambulance 40 minutes later and my day was done. Overcoming the disappointment was difficult and I'm thankful to all of you that helped me through that trauma - more mental than anything. Eric Hodska helped me to put things in perspective and I remember him saying that my not getting to complete the race was a "blessing in disguise". Rather than recover from an Ironman, I was able to get an extra 6 weeks of training in for this race - the one where it SHOULD matter, where I will lay it out on the table and see how I compare to the world's best.

I can tell you one thing. I will go hard. I will suffer. I will love every minute of it. I will cross that finish line with the biggest smile you've ever seen.

1 comment:

Ski Dad said...

Congrats on making it. It was along journey but you made it and DESERVE it.

and just for the record, I thought your comment " Despite taking second I was still proud" was kinda funny. It was an IRONMAN!! and you took 2nd!! You better be proud of that!! lol You have a very high threshold for what makes a good race I think :)