Sunday, December 7, 2008

Busy little (Mandy) B(ee)

"If I could escape, and recreate a place that's my own world. And I could be your favorite girl, forever, perfectly together, now tell me boy, now wouldn't that be sweet?

If I could be sweet, I know I've been a real bad girl. I didn't mean for you to get hurt whatsoever, we can make it better, now tell me boy, now wouldn't that be sweet. The sweet escape." - Gwen Stefani



Well, my dear readers, it has been a fun-filled weekend here in Mandy-land! Friday was a night out with family and friends - it's so nice getting to catch up with everyone and I love New Englanders - it doesn't matter the weather, they are game for any outing!

Saturday Sam and I headed out for my longest ride since Ironman. 2 hours followed by a 20-30 minute brick and core work- you may laugh, but it was pushing it! The orders were to find a rolling/hilly course, but keep heart rate low and stay seated on the climbs. After a breakfast that would have fueled me thru a ride 3x as long, we geared up and got on bikes. The night before we ran into Bryan (a Cat 2 cyclist) and he made the comment - "there is no such thing as bad weather if you have the right gear". He was right. The temp didn't break 31, but we stayed toasty.

Heading out of town, there was a trailhead I had spotted the week prior. Bow hunting signs were posted, but it looked like a fun place to explore - I thought it would be dirt road. Mind you, I currently ride a POS road bike for training with the cheapest components you can buy. Sam on the other hand, was riding a brand new super six. A cross racer at heart, there was no way the boy could say no to some off-road adventuring! The "dirt road" ended up being more of a single-track path that traveled along the risers over the housatonic river. It was quiet, windless and just plain gorgeous. I got a taste for cross riding and will def. be racing that next year!

The path popped us out about 40 minutes later onto a dirt road that is a true running mecca. It was fun to bomb down the dirt descents and try to climb out of them w/0 the rear wheel skidding away.

We continued the ride toward Kent, veering off the main road to cross the Covered Bull's Bridge and ride along the dirt road thru the Indian reservation. Refueling on this ride meant stopping for tea and hot chocolate and then riding home the way we came. Amazingly, neither of us got flat tires and it was the perfect workout. I can't wait to run in there!

The transition run went better than expected. My new neighbors are all so nice - I'm known as "pigtails with puppy" and it's awesome encouragement.

After thawing out a bit, we went into the city for the Koru DesigNZ launch party - a fashion and jewelery line started by my cycling teammate and women's team captain, Peta Takai. The C-dale crew rolled mob deep - and after a fun vegetarian pan-Asian dinner, we made our way to the Tribeca bar for the party.

Sadly, I didn't bring my camera for the workouts, but I will post some pictures from the launch party. In the meantime, go visit Peta's website.

Today was a blast - a silent run thru Steep Rock land trust. The snow was still falling hard this afternoon in NorthWest CT - with the elevation, we get more snow than other parts of the state. It was pure joy blinking the snowflakes from my eyelashes and making the only (human)footprints that would appear in Steep Rock today. While it wasn't one of those "effortless" runs, things are certainly getting better after my first week of training.

I'm looking forward to Spain in February, but it's nice to know I can find my own "sweet escapes" right here.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Definitely do cross next year! Just throw some knobby tires on the POS road bike and you'll be set. SO much fun and completely different than triathlon.

This post makes me totally miss running at steep rock. I love the trail that heads up to the top of the clam shell. Great view. I'll have to head up there when I'm back in town for Christmas.