Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Holidays

Since I've been listening to endless amounts of holiday music, in between NPR that bookends my day, I've been thinking about the holidays. About what each of them means and about what I want them to mean for me and the people I care about.

Growing up, I was pretty much the only Jew. What always amazed me was that no one knew the major holidays, the pillars of my religion, but everyone knew Chanukah. Now, I love Chanukah - everyone does - but it is not a major holiday. The only reason it gets any attention really is because it falls around the same time as Christmas. Presents are wonderful, but it's always funny to me that people feel it's important to wish me a happy Chanukah.

My Grandmother (on my Mom's side) is without religion - she never saw a place for it in her life. She refuses to send out holiday cards that have anything to do with any holiday - she'll send out Happy New Year cards, which I always love. Send her a card that says "Season's Greetings" and she'll claw your eyes out. The way I feel about the words "Ain't" and "funner" do not even compare to how she feels about "season's greetings".

It's funny how the holidays bring out these parts of our personalities - parts that maybe we should keep to ourselves. Whether it is stress-induced or due to a lack of sunshine, I'm not sure, but I know that I plan to make a concerted effort this season to not let anything get me down. Being surrounded by positive, caring people that are truthful, honest and kind-hearted makes a world of difference.

And that leads me to the things I'm most thankful for:

I'm thankful for my friends and family - this year, you have all shown me that you are in it for the long haul. Your support of me in all pursuits - business and otherwise - means more to me than I could possibly express in words. I'm thankful for my parents who show me every day what love is. Who taught me the meaning of hard work and dedication and are always there for me in good and bad times.

I'm thankful for my boyfriend (yes, Sam, I finally said it - are you proud of me?!) who can make me laugh and has made me believe that I have more to give than I ever thought possible.

I'm thankful for my new home - a space all my own. (and the dishwasher, washer and dryer that are installed in it - hallelujah!)

I'm thankful for my puppy Luna, who is at once the greatest love and pain in the ass of my life.

I'm thankful for my horses - Cass and West - that always remind me of where I've been and where I'm going. They are the best friends - without judgment, always there and always up for some fun.

I'm thankful for my new coach, Eric Hodska, who answers every one of my millions of questions with humor, patience and the expertise only he has.

I'm thankful for Tuesday Night Texas Hold'em, where even if you don't win, you get to be (or at least play) a rockstar.

I'm thankful for my business that has taught me so much and opened so many doors to me and others. The people I work with are not just business contacts, but friends. Being able to do something good for charity and the environment softens the hard edges and stresses that come with the territory of running a small business.

I'm thankful for Ironman - an event and a sport that has added new dimensions to my being.

I'm thankful for my sponsors that will be staying with me for 2009: The Block Island Sport Shop, Cannondale, Xterra Wetsuits, Larabar, Bear Naked, Perfect 3 nutrition and JCT Racing

And mostly, I'm thankful that every January 1st brings the possibility of a new year and a new beginning.

I wish you all every possibly joy these next few weeks and in the new year!

1 comment:

Erin said...

i love love love this post! i'm encouraged now to count my many blessings of the season, as you have here!