Monday, December 29, 2008

Skype, Webcams and other technological fun

I should start all of this off by saying that I love my blackberry - it has served me well in various places and is super easy to use. That being said, I'm debating about becoming an Iphone user. I have a few needs that cannot be met by my humble blackberry Curve. Maybe it's the farting application that is now available, but dammit if I can't get my mind off all of the incredible features of the iphone!

With Spain fast approaching, I've been debating as to whether I should keep my blackberry and just add the international calling application for $5 (making my phone calls 1 dollar a minute) versus a new iphone that has wifi capabilities. My other option (that I am leaning towards) is bringing my laptop that has wifi and hooking up a Skype system w/ webcam. Skype-to-Skype calling and video calling is free.

UPDATE ***

In the short time I spent blogging/preparing for my run/researching Skype - I just purchased 2 Skype headsets. Still researching the webcams - any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I have no clue what I'm doing with all of this!

Lots of fun news to come on my Earth Day 10k and 1/2 Marathon race. Check out www.endureitmultisports.com for more details and reg page. Lots of cool stuff happening with that race!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My laptop has a built in webcam, so I can't really help you there, but Gmail also recently added voice and video chat in case you hadn't seen it already.

http://mail.google.com/videochat

Holden said...

Check with your current cell provider. I just bought a new Curve through T-Mobile and it has wifi which came in handy at my parents' house where T-Mobile's service sucks. I could connect to their wifi and receive calls & email. woot.

Ski Dad said...

Dont think the Iphone wifi replaces international calling. Lots of IPhone users get stuck with Huge and I do mean mean HUGE ( in the thousands)phone bills when traveling international.

MandyB said...

Hmm - thanks guys - will look into it. Wonder if my curve has wifi and I just don't know it?

Just bought 2 headsets, but might try out the gmail add on before singing up for skype.

Thanks again for the help!!!