Wednesday, February 4, 2009

22 days

I'm sitting here in jfk airport waiting to board my 10:45 flight to Spain. This isn't my first trip, but it is my first trip this new year and this time, I'm flying direct. My ticket with delta was cheap (350) - but I got slammed with a nasty one way charge of 300 dollars for my bike - no joke. My bike weighs less than most luggage and certainly most passengers. A call to delta proved useless and while I never plan to fly with them again (wow, how do you lose a 24 year-old passenger that travels a lot?!) I also intend to fight this charge. My 20lb bike box should not cost 600 dollars to fly round trip when I payed 350 - that's insane!

Ok, enough ranting and back to the good. I love traveling and especially flying. I've always found takeoff exhilerating and I still love to see the pilot and cockpit. It's strange traveling alone, but there is a certain calm to it when you are used to a lot of activity.

I said my goodbyes to Luna, Cass, West and my parents today and got to have a nice last night with my boy. Just before turning out the lights, Sam handed me a box. He said I could open the box, but not my gift...confused, I peered inside. Lined up were 22 sealed envelopes. One for each day I am away. I was allowed to open the first one tonight in the airport and after the check-in stress, my already active tear ducts found something more to form - this time from the recognition of caring, compassion and love.

Counting down the days - and looking forward to returning stronger, leaner, fitter, faster and most importantly, returning to my loves.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Erin said...

soooooooooooo flipping sweet! i LOVE that story. what a nice guy. i hope you have an amazing time in spain! sorry we couldn't be there to help out this time...maybe next year!! ;) xoxo