Monday, February 23, 2009

Where in the World?

So by now you've all figured out I'm not in CT... not surrounded by over a foot of snow and negative temperatures. This afternoon after a "recovery" ride - it would have been recovery if the boys weren't "being boys" and actually slowed the pace down. Goodness! Good thing is, no matter how hard they make me go, I can always make conversation (even if it's just talking at people).

After what was meant to be an easy effort, we headed back to the villa - Richard (my roomie extraordinaire!) had to rush out to catch a flight home to Canada. A bit about Richard - we became fast buddies in St Croix last year - during the awards ceremony dinner, he leaned over and said "Mandy, you let me know when you're done with Triathlon and I'll get you a set of boobs - they're too heavy for competing". I nearly fell over laughing and ever since the offer, he's been one of my favorite people (side note: I'm quite happy with my modest helping of "boob-iage" as the boys refer to it).

Needless to say, Richard was constant entertainment and a real pleasure - the kind of person that wakes up happy, asks you how you are, and really intends to learn the answer. Not to say our other campers are chop suey, but it's always sad to say goodbye, especially after spending a month in close quarters with someone.

After Richard's departure, the remaining boys headed out for a hike and I took the opportunity to nap poolside in a bikini. mmmmm sun!! It wasn't 5 minutes later (when I found my comfiest position, of course) that Sean, Johnny English and Coach David showed up for a swim workout. Crazy Brits - I have trouble understanding them and most conversations consist of me getting the giggles at the mention of words like "skivvies".

I think David intentionally splashed during flip turns, but it was a bit too toasty in the sun, so I can't complain. He coaches a series of pro athletes around the world and it was a blast to do my favorite things all at once: 1. Enjoy the sunshine 2. Talk 3. Talk about triathlon/cycling/training/exercise It was a blast and he is a riot. What felt like 15 minutes was actually 2 hours of intensive training talks. Always great to get a different perspective and debate a bit. Also, I can't help it - I love gossip. Not spreading it, just learning what's happening. Yes, it's sick. Get over it.

Lying on the beach chair next to the pool, I had this little nagging voice in my head - well, not quite nagging, more of a "do this, or you'll get a swift kick in the arse" - and I think it was a deep baritone or bass. Say 6'2" and maybe about 200 lbs? Yup, Coach E had told me to do a run and at 5 PM, I finally peeled myself off the deck chair and suited up for a run that ended up being one of my most enjoyable.

The reward for getting in today's work? "girly-time" with Tracy (Andy's wife) - by the way, check out their website so you can see where I'm lounging, I mean training - www.idlebreaks.com

Cheers!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I am totally jealous. I think I may have to get into this business of running European tri training camps. It may have to be my next career move. :-)

MandyB said...

For sure! Less business and more, "please get me away from the New England Winter!" - What's on your race calendar this year?