Monday, February 9, 2009

Food Centric

Thank sweet baby jeebus for protein shakes (well, that and tasty cakes). It's only been a few days and already the little bit of brain power I've got is completely focused on food. Today's ride was brutal - totally and completely brutal. And I'm saying that will a giant and sublime smile on my face. The Ruta de Rute is quite possibly the hardest ride - no, scratch that - the hardest ride we do here at Strong Like Bull.

It is an 86 mile route that takes you over various mountain passes. To give you an idea of just how hard this ride is and the gradients we scaled - it took us 5 hours and 45 minutes to do that ride. At some point I looked over at Richard (the plastic surgeon from Nova Scotia), he was eating a snickers bar and I almost tackled him to take it. Yup. The hungry has overtaken me.

Before coming I swore I'd skip dessert, that I'd be militant about my calorie intake. Well, I'm so far behind in calories that I can't stop myself from putting anything slightly edible in my pie hole. Lost a few pounds already and looking forward to getting a bit leaner.

Again, I'm supremely impressed by the athletes on this trip - all survived the day and when the question was raised - "who wants a massage" - extreme cagefighting almost broke out (Deborah our masseuse will only do so many at a time).

Tomorrow is mercifully an easier day - but there will be running and swimming in there to balance out the lack of cycling time.

No comments: