Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fin

"the world's a roller coaster and I am not strapped in, maybe I should hold with care, but my hands are in the air and I'm saying, 'I wish you were here'" - Incubus

Well, the campers have all left - another one in the books. The weather this year was fantastic for both camps - first 2 days were bit overcast, but then the sun shone on us for the duration of the camps!

This morning I said my goodbye's to Sean, Chuck, Ken and Jeff - holding onto the memories we've all made while here. You get to know people pretty well, living in close quarters and spending many hours on a bike. When the small talk falls away, you get a view of who people really are and it is a pleasure. Connecting with friends old and new on this trip will fuel me through my training for months to come. Of course, there are already plans in the works for Aubrey, Dikran and me to meet up for some rides in the Litchfield hills - Chuck and I will see eachother this weekend racing the Bethel Criterium and the others I will see during other adventures along the way.

Taking advantage of the quiet, I headed out on my bike for an easy ride. As I do every year, I try to find time to take it all in, one last time. The vast vistas - olive groves as far as you can see, dapper-dressed old men strolling along the road-side, couples enjoying the sunshine at an outdoor cafe, the flowers in bloom and the taste of an almond when picked from a tree in full bloom, cracking open the hard outer shell to reveal the delicious treat it holds.

I'm taking it all in and bringing this life, this light back with me. I find peace in movement and at that, in shared movement. I cannot wait to return next year with Sam and other friends to share the joy of this experience. To lay eyes on something from the perch of a bicycle is a unique feeling - and something that most of the population will never know or appreciate.

Ok, enough of this waxing philosophical on y'all. Time for a run and some more time in this glorious sunshine.

1 comment:

Erin said...

sounds fab to me! we are seriously hoping to meet up with you guys next year - count us in! have a safe voyage home. ;)