Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Stars

Another day is in the books and I can tell everyone is getting in great training b/c they look like zombies.

I have to say, I'm feeling great. My energy feels constant and I'm chipper, which, given the number of hours I've put in (5 hours of swim/bike/run constituted a "recovery day"), is remarkable. I emailed Coach E-Rock to check in (we've emailed a few times each day) and today's email was remarking that I'm adjusting to taking the ego out of my training.

We have a few "time trial" climbs here. Today was one of them. I took heart that I have some respectable times already posted on the board from last year. With so much training to do, I was instructed to keep my heart rate low and controlled. The first few days it was hard to just watch the front guys cruise up the road - look down at my heart rate monitor and realize I couldn't go with them. But today was different. Today I could not wipe the smile from my face. Enjoying the scenery (and that's not to say I wasn't working, because I was!) and taking it all in. Being in Spain, and in arguably the most culturally and historically rich regions of Spain, it would be a waste to not enjoy it. Being here is more than the hours and hours of training like a pro, meals and wheels taken care of!

After 5 hours of riding in the sunshine, sweat pouring off of us, we called it a day. The boys began cleaning bikes and going in the hot-tub, and I headed out for a lovely 45 minute run.

Being here just feels natural and by here, I mean Spain. Andy and Tracy are lovely - accommodating beyond belief and offering advice that I can live by. It never ceases to amaze me, I don't get to see them nearly as much as I'd like throughout the year, but we can pick up right where we left off. Some people you just know. And they know you.

Most of the group is headed into town to watch the soccer match w/ Andy. I just chuckle, as we all know, no one can keep up w/ a partying Andy! Going into town is never a short trip - and usually involves more than a few drinks and practical jokes.

Tomorrow I'll be headed to Granada with a group to visit the Alhambra, do some shopping and enjoy a rest day. From the Alhambra, we'll be able to see (towering above) the Pico de Veleta (highest peak in Southern Europe and the toughest European Climb at 42km). We'll be climbing that on Friday and everyone is already buzzing with excitement!

Cheers!

No comments: