Friday, February 13, 2009

Every Day is Friday

In one of my favorite Wyclef songs, he sings "For all my people with no jobs, everyday is Friday" - well, and here we get to pretend we don't have work. We escape on our bicycles - into the mountains of sunny Spain and just ride. No cell phones beeping or buzzing. Watches are used for chronograph features and that's about it.

Somehow I missed updating you all yesterday. Oops! As Natalie (Andy and Tracy's older daughter) likes to say, "My bad"! Yesterday a group of us headed into Granada to tour the Alhambra and bop around the ancient city. Lots of fun, lots of shopping - lots of wine and pastries at lunch.

Last night we headed into town as a full group for a meal of traditional Tapas. It was fantastic and again - much good food and libation were had... well, wine, beer and then apple schnapps - more schnapps for me since I took a few to defend the group honor.

Luckily, coach E didn't chastise me - instead he congratulated me on out drinking the rest of the group (oh wait, I shouldn't really be bragging about that, huh?).

This morning came pretty quick and before I knew which way was up, we were in the car on our way to the base of the Pico de Veleta climb (hardest in Europe and the highest peak in Southern Europe - and those aren't my expressions). The weather was perfect - warm, sunny and just brilliant. The group was strong today - climbed really well and we all had an amazing time!

The Pico goes up to a height of just over 10,000 feet - from the top you can see the Mediterranean. Truly WILD!

I later went for a run w/ a few of the boys and then had a massage - I feel human again!

Tomorrow is El Torcal - and I'll try to post pictures then as well. Camp 1 ends on Sunday and tomorrow I have a bit of a Valentine's Day surprise for everyone. To all the spouses back home - happy V-day and ask for something extravagant when your spouse gets home!

No comments: